Video Transcription

I just want to do a little demonstration on the effects of soda pop on the dandle structures.

I have a couple of different things here. This is the notorious mug, which is about 52oz here. We have a quart bottle of Pepsi and of course the beloved Mt. Dew, which a lot of the teenagers use. One of the things I don’t think we know is that pop is acidic by nature. It’s about a PH of 2.4 or 2.7. But the main ingredient in pop that does most of the damage in tooth structure is… a 12oz. can of pop contains 1/4 cup of sugar. Therefore this 2 liter bottle has this much sugar in it, a cup and a half.

Now think of… what would you feel like if you had a turkey feast every meal? You would be fat and happy and content. Well that’s what the bacteria on your teeth in the plaque are feeling like when you drink the soda pop. They get a feast from the sugar that is there. Now the byproduct of that is they produce acid. And it’s the acid that they produce that is the main cause of dental decay. It demineralizes the tooth and over time makes a hole in the tooth and therefore the decay that is so damaging.

So I’m not saying that we all can’t drink soda pop, because we all do, but if you continue to bathe your teeth constantly, especially with the mug where you sip it all day long. You are going to increase the chances of having decay tremendously.

I just have a little demonstration here on pennies too. These two pennies I put in Mt Dew for four hours. The difference in the color shows you the amount of acid that is present in the pop.

It is our recommendation that if you can remove the plaque where the bacteria hide and live, the effects of soda pop are lessened. If we don’t have good hygiene and we continue to drink the pop then we have increased our chances of dental decay.

Comments are closed.